free counters We welcome newcomers!

Remember: if you participate with us, please link to and mention us in your post.

Tuesday 21 February 2017

G is for GARDENS

I often take the time to replenish my soul by seeing through my camera lens into the glory and beauty of God's creation. Then today, while I was thinking over what I wanted to post for this introduction, I looked up some quotes about gardens. Much to my surprise, I discovered that I recognized myself in some of these quotes:

The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for Him there. (George Bernard Shaw)

You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt. (Author Unknown)

I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. (F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace)

Bread feeds the body, indeed, but flowers feed also the soul. (The Koran)

We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

I genuinely enjoy gardening, or I must say "used to" enjoy gardening, but now because of the ghastly onslaught of aging along with its various complaints like bad back and knees, I glory in my ability to stroll around various gardens to capture the glamour and grace of their rich colours among the greenery.  Never without a camera, be it a Canon or a cellphone, I'm always on the lookout for an opportunity to grasp the moment for posterity.

It's the middle of February now, and everyone is getting very tired of the gradual transition into Spring.  When we spy some snowdrops or crocus bulbs pushing through the earth still laden in some places with soggy snow, we become giddy with excitement that soon we will be glad to see the glowing sunshine.
Therefore, for those of you who are feeling like I am - cold, depressed, tired all the time from the grey skies, take comfort that it won't be long until you'll be griping about the heat, the galling chores of mowing the lawn and weeding the gardens, and longing for the crispness of Autumn. But beware, the seasons flow into each other with the greatness of ease and as we age, we must always be grateful for God's gift of gardens.  I know I certainly felt His presence while gallivanting around the many gardens I visited last summer in Wales, and I look forward to many more great trips to see even more.  I'll be the old lady with the cane the tour leader is guiding into the coach!
***





16 comments:

  1. Actually, everything in its own time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, Gorgeous, Grand, Godly indeed..Gardens!
    It's already spring in this part of the globe and we have a riot of colors in the gardens all around:)
    The weather is awesome too:)
    Great post on G, Leslie:) and nice quotes too:) thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garden is a good choice for the letter G. Sorry about your pain. Glad you can still get out and enjoy a beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so in short, we need better joints and more sun ;-) ;-) I so agree with that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am smiling about Shaw's quote - dig for God in the garden sounds good to me:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I am now anxious awaiting the time to be in a gorgeous garden to glorify my God. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've given such wonderful choices for letter G. Lovely shot of flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I share your delight in gardens, Leslie. Good choice for G!
    My "G" stands for GOPHER & GNAT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great intro!
    My hidden "G's" are: GREEN GRASSES GLISTENING in the GLARE

    ReplyDelete
  10. And another "G" post featuring the colour GREEN!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love visiting gardens too! So much true in quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! I like the quotes. I get it, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. the gardens is a great topic. I love gardens especially if I don't care for them and just simply admire...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the prompt! I used it for a new poem at Nickers and Ink.
    Sorry to learn this is the Farewell Tour. Although I have only been an occasional participant, I have surely enjoyed ABC Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, all. For some reason, I've been having difficulty commenting on some of your blogs. I'm sure it's something about my computer, not you, since I'd visited before with no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Leslie! I lack Green thumb talent, but am hugely Grateful to all who Garden and very appreciative as well of your faithful ABC posts. Hope you are not getting the snow that fell in Yaletown this morning. Happily, it didn't stick. Spring is definitely on the way. P.S. I will never, ever think of you as an old lady, cane or otherwise. :)

    ReplyDelete