free counters We welcome newcomers!

Remember: if you participate with us, please link to and mention us in your post.

Monday 15 February 2016

F is for FAMILY

In the context of human society, a family is affiliated by blood, marriage, or cohabitation. Members of the immediate family include spouses, parents, brothers, sisters, sons and/or daughters. Members of the extended family include grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews, nieces, and/or brothers or sisters-in-law.
Personally, I consider the people of ABC Wednesday to be members of my family!  I seem to "see" or "hear" from these people more regularly and more often than some of my immediate family.  And we usually have similar interests even if we live thousands of miles away from each other in different countries or even on different continents.  Sometimes I "click" with one or another contributor and really look forward to their contributions each week.  And there have been times when I've actually met someone I "met" here at ABCW. 

For example, in 2012, I met Denise Nesbitt, the creator of ABCW when I was travelling in England.  As I was visiting her area, she invited my friend and me for tea and a visit.  We had a wonderful time as she showed us around her village in North Yorkshire.  And through Denise, I met a woman named Jill who has become a very dear friend.  I'll be visiting her again this summer when we take in Robin Hood's Bay, Scarborough, and York along with the pub that was filmed in the TV series "Heartbeat" where her son now bartends.  I'll be sure to get my photo taken there!

I consider these friends whom I met through blogging to be family, also.  There's Jane in Newport, Wales and Liz in Swansea, Wales, both of whom have visited me here in my home.  There's Di in Liverpool, Anne in Oxford, Sally from Kings Lynn and Ellie in Cambridge - all in England. There are others who live not too far away, but too far for a quick visit. 
There are also my long-time friends from years past that I consider family.  Cathy, Eileen, Irene, Sheila (who hails from Ireland) and Lynne, with whom I go out to dinner to celebrate each others' birthdays.  There's also Josie, who lives in Vancouver, so I only get to see her occasionally.  But, because my own immediate family is small, these are the people I choose to consider my extended family.  I thank God that He has personally chosen these good friends to share my life with and to whom I can turn in times of joy or crisis.
So always remember this:
***







18 comments:

  1. Love your introduction the the letter F with family Leslie! I'll be back tomorrow to link up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Leslie how wonderful this post is.

    Due to several horrific circumstances our 'blood-family' is very small... like you i feel that lots of bloggers belong to my ' family' ... i've met several througout the 13 years of blogging now.. and some of them have become very very dear friends wich i cherish

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful and how absolutely true, especially the quote of Desmond Tutu.Thanks Leslie!
    Wil

    ReplyDelete
  4. What eloquent writing, such touching words Leslie.
    I feel honoured to be your friend /family and I consider you to
    be the same. We're looking forward to seeing you in the summertime, let's
    hope the sun shines on us.
    love Di.
    ABCW team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good family is a blessing - - -
    Greetings from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely post and so true. Love all the quotes you included, especially the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are absolutely right, Leslie! I consider you and other of Denise's ABC Wednesday team members my extended family. We've shared some low and high times, learned from each other, and I've even shared a prayer with a couple of you. I've never had the pleasure to meet any of you in person, but I feel I know you through your words. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are very fortunate if we have others we can add as family! At times we feel even closer, because we share and have so much in common:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am happy to be adopted in this family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's very true what you wrote ! We always say family you inherit, friends you choose !
    I too have made blogfriends and got visitors and we always had the impression that we knew each other since a long time !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous post, Leslie! There is a friendly and fond atmosphere in this blog.
    My "F" stands for FAIRFIELD, the suburb where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for hosting, friends!
    My "F" is for FISH

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post for F ~ Family is important ~

    Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a sweet and deep opening post. Yes, friends too make family that too when unknowingly they tend to be all ears even when miles away!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very well said. We have many families that we connect with.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally agree. Great quotes.
    Love to belong to our ABC Family :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved the intro to F, Leslie! Indeed family and friends are blessings... love the quotes too :)

    Cheers,
    Priya [https://softypinkngloriousred.wordpress.com]

    ReplyDelete