free counters We welcome newcomers!

Remember: if you participate with us, please link to and mention us in your post.

Monday 14 July 2014

Introduction of Alpha.


Alpha (uppercase Α, lowercase α; Greek: Άλφα Álpha) is the first letter of the Greek alphabet. In the system of Greek numerals it has a value of 1. It was derived from the Phoenician letter aleph Aleph. Letters that arose from alpha include the Latin A and the Cyrillic letter А.


In English, the noun "alpha" is used as a synonym for "beginning", or "first" (in a series), reflecting its Greek roots.

In "Brave New World "( Aldous Huxley) people are divided in groups from highly intelligent and well- educated humans to the people who are more or less considered to be stupid, simple-minded, retarded ones. Being an Alpha means that you belong to the highest class, the most intelligent one.
Amazing, but now I come to think of it: I don't know any European language that doesn't start with an A.
 Hebrew starts with Alef. But how are the Asian languages? Do they have an alphabetical system like ours?
I also remember that we used alpha, bèta, gamma and delta in mathematics. Well I shan't make this too complicated. You will by now understand that Alpha is an important letter. An Alpha male among a group of animals is often the leader.


 With thanks to Denise Nesbitt, who created ABC.For more interesting ABC posts click on the logo in the sidebar. This week we are looking for words beginning with A.

And as Roger always asks:Remember: if you participate with us, please link to and mention us in your post.



19 comments:

  1. AWESOME, just like yourself, Wil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND AWAY we go AGAIN! Great intro, Wil...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will join back in again this time around. I've found it difficult to find photographs in the past for ABC Wednesday as I don't
    get out and about enough to take interesting photos. So this time around I will stick to people and things that bring pleasure to my life and add a photo when I can. This way I hope I will now keep up with and improve my writing skills. It will be nice to keep up with you all again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AAAAANNNNND it starts all over again... AWESOME!!

    PhenoMenon
    http://throodalookingglass.com/2014/07/dark-clouds/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Accolades to the ABCWednesday team and Denise Nesbit. Here's to Round 15!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A for Accolades & A for ABC Team :)
    Accolades for the ABC Team :)
    I Appreciate :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm Astonished by how Articulate you Are, and Aspire to Assimilate the knowledge you share. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How interesting the word 'Alpha male' .The "Brave New World" was designed as a futuristic nightmarish utopia to warn the western world about the indiscriminate application of technology in man's life and distorting his human traits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your "kick off" treatment of the letter "A." I decided for this round to commit to the theme S.T.E.A.M. (science, technology engineering, art, mathematics). Off we go!

    Any suggestions of how to keep spammers out without having to use recaptcha which keeps people from commenting?

    Janis & David
    Greensboro Daily Photo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janis/David - I'm afraid not. It was a problem I had with my own Blogger blog. I know Akismet works with WordPress, but don't know if it works with Blogspot.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ΑΛΦΑ, Χαίρετε! (Hello alpha! in Greek) and thanks for hosting another alphabetic merry-go-round.
    Queen Adelaide, Adelaide City, and Australia from me this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alpha stands for Ancient, Athens, Agora and Acropolis!
    Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is my first time to start from the beginning! hope i can keep up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alpha for me indeed on this precious site of yours!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope I am not late.
    Accolades to ABC Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can link your post to the Linky, it's not too late.

      Delete